Miami‑Dade Public Library Launches New Website
– New Site Provides Improved Navigation, Improved Searching and Rich Content –
(MIAMI, MARCH 28, 2014) – The Miami‑Dade Public Library has launched a new and improved website www.mdpls.org.
The redesigned site, created by the library’s in‑house digital team, embodies the mission to maintain and improve library services that reflect the informational, educational, and recreational needs of our diverse community. The home page welcomes visitors with bold new colors, a clean design, and moving images featuring content created by library staff.
Major features of the new site include:
- Automatic adaptation to any computer, tablet or mobile device for the best user experience.
- Portals featured on the home page will lead to new and fresh content highlighting library resources, materials and programs.
- All navigation is condensed to one location and will be available from all pages of the website.
- With one click, users can find the location, hours, phone number, and featured programs of any branch.
- Quick access to digital media accounts: Axis 360, OverDrive, Freegal Music, Zinio Digital Magazines, and OneClick Digital.
- Streamlined Calendar of Events featuring programs and special events at all branches.
New features of the online catalog:
- The website’s menu will be available from the catalog.
- All information, including summary, author notes, reviews and available copies, can be seen at the same time.
- Menu options for the catalog are now on the left with the exception of “My Accounts,” which remains at the top as part of the website menu.
In addition to a Google map and library hours, the pages for each of the 49 libraries now feature e‑mail access to managers, and a listing of current programs designed to meet the needs of the neighborhood.
“With changes in technology and continued demand by users it was time for a restructuring of the online portal to our services,” said Library Director Raymond Santiago. “The new site features a clean, fresh look, and will greatly improve the experience of library users. We look forward to feedback from users as we continue to develop and expand the new service.”
The website www.mdpls.org currently receives more than 4.4 million users annually, who reserve materials, search for programs, check library hours and locations, access databases, sign up for workshops, get homework help, and take advantage of many other features.
For more information on programs and services at the library, visit www.mdpls.org or call 305‑375‑2665.
Jessica Melgarejo Cespedes
About the Miami-Dade Public Library System
The Miami‑Dade Public Library System (MDPLS), a recipient of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, serves as a community center and learning place where the Miami‑Dade community meets to exchange ideas, learn, share, and create. The Library strives to ensure that all residents, regardless of socioeconomics, will be enriched through access to materials, technology, art and culture and programs so that they may develop the skills they need to create and produce innovations for the 21st century. Through its 48 locations, bookmobiles, special services, website (www.mdpls.org) and MDPLS iLibrary app, the library proudly serves more than 7 million annual visitors. In the more than 40 years of serving the community, the MDPLS continues to experience tremendous change and growth, evolving with the technological needs and requirements of its diverse community.