- Hold your preschooler on your lap as you sit on a chair or on the floor.
Preschoolers like sharing books with Mom and Dad.
- Place books where preschoolers can reach them. Preschoolers can look at books independently.
- Let preschoolers select the books. Preschoolers know what they like.
Some like rhyming; some like action; some like quiet stories.
- Make reading fun. Preschoolers have better control of language and are developing a sense of humor.
- Preschoolers have varying attention spans. Allow them the amount of time for reading. You do not need to read every word.
- Act out the story. Preschoolers love repetition. You can read the same book many, many times.
- Ask questions. Preschoolers like making up stories.
- Model reading for your preschooler. They copy what they see. Develop a daily reading routine.
- Visit your local library often. You and your preschooler can enjoy storytime and find many wonderful books together.