- Toddlers like movement. Do not worry when they go and come back while you are reading.
- Let the toddler choose the book. Toddlers enjoy independence.
- Place books where toddlers can reach them. Toddlers like colorful and simple books.
- Make reading time fun. Toddlers like fun voices: “How does the lion roar?"
- Point things out in the pictures. Toddlers learn new words every day.
- Use the book as a starting point for conversation. Toddlers know their daily activities: “Does the bear brush his teeth?”
- Carry books wherever you go. Toddlers love 'reading' everywhere.
- Develop a daily reading routine. Toddlers quickly learn that before sleep comes reading time with mommy or daddy.
- Visit your local library often. You and your toddler can enjoy storytime and get toddler-friendly books to share.